Sunday 11 June 2017

A New (School) Year

*UPDATE* 11/6/17

So, I started writing this post during the first of week school. In August 2016! It is now 11 June 2017 (our wedding anniversary by the way!) and school finished on Friday. I will write something more detailed about this year. Soon(ish)!

August 2016

School starts in earnest again on Wednesday. Which also happens to be my birthday! Teachers have been in at school for a week already, two in the case of the new staff. I don't mind coming in for that week, though some of the stuff is a little dry and boring. Luckily for me, Flynn decided to show up very early on Monday morning. Which meant that I was away for Monday and Tuesday and therefore missed out on some those dry, boring things. I shall have to buy the little man a beer. When he's 18 of course:)

Flynn is doing well. He feeding ok and sleeping ok. Although last night was rough. He basically didn't sleep between 10:30pm and 11:30am. And of course this was accompanied by much crying. Luckily Matilda had gone to sleep quickly and slept through it all. Unlike Mel & myself. We had maybe 2-3 hours of sleep, which very hard on Mel as she is already tired from the birth and feeding. Not to mention sore! He seemed to go down ok tonight, so we'll wait and see how we go. It would be good to get some decent sleep between now and Wednesday morning as school starts then!



I think Matilda is having mixed feelings about her little brother. She is obviously very excited to have a little brother as we had explained to her that we probably wouldn't be able to give her a sibling. We explained the IVF process we went through to have her and while she was a bit sad, she accepted that she probably wouldn't get a sibling. When we told her we would be having a baby, she was super excited.


However, the reality is that new babies don't do much except eat, poo and sleep. Matilda is a little frustrated that she can't play with Flynn right away. But I am certain that she will be a great big sister. About three months ago, she asked Mel if she could have her baby and pushchair that we gave her for Christmas a couple of years ago. Matilda has taken care of her baby ever since. In bed, the baby took up most of the space and Matilda squished herself into the corner to make room for the baby. A couple of nights ago, Flynn was crying and she brought in her music box which plays Lullaby and said "maybe this will help Flynn go to sleep." Very sweet.

While school starts on Wednesday for the kids, teachers have been at school since last Monday (earlier in the case of the new teachers). As we stayed in Singapore for most of the holidays I went into school a few times before Flynn was born. I missed the first two days, so being able to get some stuff done was good. I'm probably not exactly where I want to be in terms of preparation but I'm not too badly off.

We have a few new staff starting this year, including two in our department. It was good to meet them and help out where I could.


No comments:

Post a Comment